Tuesday, August 29, 2006

To boldly go where no PhD thesis has gone before

The University of Melbourne has awarded one of its Chancellor's Prizes for Excellence to Dr. Djoymi Baker's, author of the PhD thesis: "Broadcast Space: TV Culture, Myth and Star Trek".

Yes, that's right, a PhD thesis on Star Trek! And boy do the nerd news providers love this. Slash-dot wasted no time jumping onto the story. I expect it will get a fair bit of coverage in the main stream media as well. As a Melbourne Uni graduate, I am just impressed that the uni has people with this level of devotion to the sci-fi classic - which apparently included watching over 700 hours of it!

The thesis itself appears to be more about drawing connections between ancient mythology and popular culture. Star Trek, however, does appear to be the authors main focus. It does raise the interesting question of just how popular television shows like Star Trek will be viewed in the distant future. Will they be studied as some way of gaining insight into civilisation at this time. I would love to read what conclusions one might draw from that. Certainly, one conclusion would have to be that figure hugging jump suits were all the rage in the late 20th century.

5 Comments:

Blogger macca said...

I just wanted to add to this post that my choice of title, which I was pretty proud of I must say (although I guess it was inevitable), was not stolen from The Age's report, which I only just read!

Clearly they stole it from me :)

8/29/2006 10:21:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Star Trek REALLY **popular** culture?! I just DO NOT get it AT ALL.

Good on this guy, though. I've no doubt he's managed to do what I haven't...find a PhD topic you're passionate about.

Hmmm, perhaps I could rewrite my thesis into something comparing the love lives of Grey's Anatomy characters with the real medical world?

8/29/2006 03:20:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

Good on this guy

Ahh Mands .. you've made the same assumption that I first made.

Presenting, Dr. Djoymi Baker

.. not what you expected hey?

8/29/2006 03:32:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes indeedy, that was a surprise.

Well, good on this woman then!

Mands :)

8/30/2006 02:23:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beats the hell out of me why I didn't think to harness my own PhD project to cultural studies, under the aegis of 'literary' --i.e. token ancient mythological--studies. I guess, coming from the old 'humanities' tradition, I wasn't thinking first and foremost of making a buck/media impression. To be sure, the accolades bestowed upon this particular PhD research indicate the new (but hopefully not final) frontier of academic research within the humanities.

9/17/2006 06:49:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home