Monday, July 31, 2006

Breakfast radio report

Brekky radio is certainly different, I'll give it that. This morning I rose at 5.45am to get into the 2XX studio by 6.30am. That was hard enough, let alone then having to co-host 2 hours of radio from 7am until 9am. It was pretty hectic to say the least, and quite energy sapping. I am sitting now at my desk here at uni, it's 10:15am, and I feel like going home (which may just happen).

The show, for the most part, went well. In fact I don't think it could have gone much better for a first go. Both Janine and myself did the show, with another fuzzy presenter, David, in to show us the ropes (moreso Janine than myself, who took on the role of producing the show). Next time I am hoping to do this, but I have to say, it looked awfully stressful from where I was sitting. In contrast to Fuzzy Logic, which more or less runs along at its own pace, the breakfast show has all sorts of scheduling requirements. For starters, we broadcast the BBC news on the hour, which means listening in on the satelite feed for signs of it about to come on. We also have to read 8 community announcements each hour, and do two station promos. Then, of course, there is the music, which requires a mix of local Canberra artists, and more general Australian bands. A little international is also allowed, but independant music is certainly the order of the day. Amongs all this, I managed to include a few of my own stories/dicussions. One of the nice things about having a blog is that you have an abundant source of potential rants and "have you ever noticed ..." type stories to draw from - not that I did on this occassion, but in the future I think I will re-cycle a few blog pieces for radio.

Despite the stress at times, it was a great experience. It is quite apparent that a steep learning curve exists, and I don't think I'm over it yet, but it also seems pretty clear that once this is achieved, things should start becoming quite fun.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Macca,

We are eagerly awaiting the conclusion to your South Coast Walk! I know you may not want to bring up disturbing distant memories of the trip, but we are planning on doing the track this coming October and depending on your outcome, we will decide whether to go or not. So we would really appreciate to hear how the trip ended.

8/06/2006 05:40:00 PM

 
Blogger Parton Words said...

Sorry I missed hearing your debut Macca. Isn't breakfast radio a lot of fun.

Obviously XX is very different to Mix, but if you ever want to have a yak about this stuff send me an e-mail. mparton@mix106.com.au

8/08/2006 04:54:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris,
I did hear your debut for breakfast radio, well done. Since there has been no blogg since then can I assume that the engineers for Gungahlin drive extention has tracked you down for your bridge comment. Keep up the good work.
Aunite Marg

8/09/2006 07:30:00 AM

 
Blogger macca said...

PW - thanks Mark! will do.

8/09/2006 09:53:00 AM

 
Blogger macca said...

Aunty Marg - thanks for tuning in. It was a pretty rough ride, as you probably gathered. I am next scheduled to do the Monday brekky shift on August 21, along with my mate Tim. We plan on having a bit of fun with it, if we can organise ourselves (finding time to prepare anything beyond crappy attempts at humour is hard).

RE: Gungahlin drive extension. I plan on taking a picture of the bridge over Belco way in its current state, just to further illustrate my point. Surely the Engineers are investing too much faith in one pylon!

8/09/2006 09:58:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home