Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Great Wall in Pictures

It was such a great way to spend my last day in China, I figure it deserves a blog post of its own. Heading out North East of Beijing with some people I met the day before, we spent four hours walking a 10.5km stretch of the wall. Put simply, this was an awesome day. It was also one hell of a walk, as you will see in the photos below. It's well worth clicking on the photos to blow them up to full resolution. The enormity of this wall really needs to be seen to be believed

First, a picture of the all conquoring Ghengis Macca ..


the wall that lay ahead ..


the wall already conquored ..


My army - Jinelle, Eric and his name-forgotten wife (making for some awkward interactions). Jinelle's partner Scott is not pictured...


heading down into the valley where our walk finished ...


a storage building (where they probably kept the grog) ..


this photo is for my t-shirt idea to compete with the "I climbed the great wall" t-shirts on sale all over China - the "I got drunk on the great wall and fell off" t-shirt.


and one more photo of me on the wall for good measure ...

6 Comments:

Blogger mdz said...

grat photos, it must be beautiful walking along the great wall, it`s so long that I cannot immagine. China is such an intereing country!!!
bye

10/17/2006 07:30:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks awesome, Chris!

Hope to make it sometime myself, fabulous pics :)

Mands

10/18/2006 01:13:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

thanks guys!

I was pretty happy with how my great wall photos turned out. If I went back, I would get out of Beijing ASAP and spend a whole lot more time at other locations on the wall, if only for the fresher air.

10/18/2006 02:31:00 PM

 
Blogger ifizzie said...

hey, i happen to be blog hopping and i stumbled into your blog. i'm a singaporean! i've browsed through your archives and read that you used to work in Singapore. that's cool. i'm a student studying Design at a local polytchnic. Glad you love Singapore. i love melbourne too! i've "holiday-ed" and i just love the weather and most of the peopl there!

10/19/2006 02:16:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

Hi ifizzie,
yeah, I spent just over a year teaching computer programming at Ngee Ann Polytechnic back in 2000. I had a lot of fun, and did a lot of backpacking through S.E. Asia while I was there. Thanks for dropping by.

10/19/2006 05:29:00 PM

 
Blogger ifizzie said...

wow. cool. you mould the minds of tomorrow over here at Singapore. the weather here in Singapore is horrid now because there's the haze from Indonesia. Visibility's as low as the fog in China, just that the air's stagnant!

10/19/2006 06:11:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home