Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Marvelous Melbourne

In the weeks leading up, it was probably the most loathed trip to Melbourne yet. Another miss-spent long weekend running around the big smoke like a headless chook. That was my feeling as I awoke on Friday morning last week, ready for the oh so familiar seven hour drive to the city by the bay. This is, of course, no reflection on the quality of company we keep when we arrive in Melbourne, just the harsh reality that on Friday morning last week, a trip to Melbourne was not exactly in line with my long weekend wish to lie under a gum tree and forget the world for a few days.

Sometimes though, you don't know what you really need until you've done it.

I rate this weekend's trip to Melbourne among the best yet. Sure, it was hectic and a little disorganised in places, but overall, very much what the doctor ordered for mine. This was a classic "get out of the rut" weekend, and also an excellent opportunity to catch up with some good mates. I also got to meet and spend lots of time with my new niece Chloe, who is now 11 days old. Nothing like a baby to make you stop everything, and remind you a little about what really matters.

Aff and I drove back to Canberra yesterday, very proud of ourselves for having successfully navigated the weekend. The stats are pretty telling

  • Total friend/family events: 9
  • Birthdays: 2 (Mick's and Dad's)
  • New babies: 1 (Chloe)
  • New house tours: 2 (Tony's, and Shelley and Ben's)
  • Grand Finals watched: 2 (AFL and NRL)
  • Wedding related activities: 4 (Aff's hair, bridesmaids dresses, meet celebrant, wedding ring decisions
  • Dodgy 3am pizzas consumed: 1 (Friday night Intersection Cafe Carlton)


Of course, with every great trip back home to Melbourne, there is the double edge sword of realising you no longer live there, and having to leave it. I like Canberra, and am happy to be in Canberra, but I love Melbourne, and cannot deny that I do look forward to coming back to live there again. Much like when I worked in Singapore, I am finding myself noticing more and more things I miss about Melbourne when I am away from it. I don't think these are artificial products of home sickness either. I do not regard myself as homesick. When I am in Canberra, I like being in Canberra, and appreciate a lot of things about Canberra. I think very little about the things I miss in Melbourne. It is only when I go home and spend a couple of days walking the streets (and not just the trendy one's) and seeing the diverse range of people, that I realise these things.

It's not like my life would be that different if I were still in Melbourne, but being part of the Melbourne landscape, and hanging out with old friends is something I look forward to re-joining again. Of course, when Aff and I eventually move back to Melbourne, I will no doubt blog about all the things I miss about Canberra. Canberra has plenty going for it, and in many respects, is exactly what suits me at this time in my life. The only thing I really lack in Canberra is an emotional attachment with it. This, I guess, comes with time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home