Sunday, October 15, 2006

Blogging in transit

Free internet access is perhaps the single greatest thing Changi airport offers its travel weary patrons, seeking to fill in the three or four hours between flights. If I had another hour, I would even consider heading into Singapore to check in on some old haunts. Being 7.30am on a Sunday morning however, this is probably not worth the effort. So I blog instead.

I left Beijing at midnight after a day spent walking on the Great Wall. It was quite an experience. I joined a few other people I met at the conference I attended and after 3 hours travelling in a mini bus North East of Beijing, we found ourselves a very impressive stretch of the great wall to walk on. 10km of it in fact. This is where most of those postcard pictures of the wall are taken. I, of course, have plenty of photos to post, but this will have to wait until I get back home. What I will say is that it was well worth the long journey out to see it. It reminded me of how I felt when I first set eyes on the temples of Angkor in Cambodia - it's just impossible to comprehend the history, and how such structures could possibly have been built.

The one downside to my day spent at the wall was that I then had to rush almost straight to the airport afterwards. So I am still in the clothes I wore while tramping along the wall. I really do feel quite disgusting, and I still have another 8 or 9 hours of flying left. Singapore airlines is good, but cattle class is cattle class. I am pretty tired as well, having been up now for about 28 hours straight.

Anyway, my time is running out, so I had better post this and find myself a coffee fix. More Beijing reports (and photos) to come.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, been there, blogged at Changi airport... :)

10/18/2006 04:06:00 PM

 
Blogger melt said...

Changi airport also has some of the best airport showers, just the thing for an adventurous traveler like yourself, chris.

10/22/2006 07:03:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look, the Singaporeans may have their faults (I wouldn't know first hand) but one thing they do better than just about anybody else is airports.

10/23/2006 11:10:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home