Tuesday, June 13, 2006

No substitutes for brilliance - except perhaps Cahill, Aloisi and Kennedy

There is no need to give the blow by blow account. We all watched it, or have no doubt heard about it. Australia defeated Japan 3 - 1, making it our first World Cup finals win ever! After playing 84 minutes goaless and one goal down, some extroadinary substitutions brought about three goals in the last eight minutes to clinch us the win - and what a win!

Having arrived home an hour before the match, completing a hectic whirlwind road trip to Melbourne, I was content to watch the match in the comfort of my lounge room. I must say though, when Cahill put his second goal in off the left side post, I was up on my feet looking for strangers to hug. Being on my own, I instead opted for the standard jump out of the seat, scream and pump the air with my fist, before somewhat awkwardly resuming my seat, realising there was no one but a very scared looking cat to appreciate the moment with (Aff, in a bout of un-Australian-ness, decided to go to bed claiming some sort of"I have an exam tomorrow" excuse.

Needless to say, the Brazillian match will be a cracker!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home