Monday, May 22, 2006

Eurovision never disappoints


I must admit, I didn't actually watch that much of the Eurovision song contest finals last night. A hot date with Aff to see MI3 took precedence over Europe's night of nights. Unlike last year, I did not organise or attend a Eurovision party this year, and as I began watching last night's coverage, I realised that I am probably more of a social Eurovision participant than a Euro-trash devotee. There is no doubt the contest is best enjoyed with a big screen, a group of like-minded fans, and a decent drinking game. Despite having none of these things last night, I did manage to catch about 8 of the entries, but unfortunately did not see the winning Finland entry which from all reports, was quite something (pictured above).
What I did see certainly didn't disappoint however. From a Russian ballet dancer emerging from the bowels of a piano, to a German country and Western outfit, complete with neon cacti, it was clearly on for young and old (but mostly young!)
What I find fascinating about the contest, is the ambiguity in how seriously different European nations compete in the event. There is a fine tradition of piss-taking from some countries who enter, while for others you get that uneasy sense that what you are seeing is actually for real. Whatever the case, the visual experience alone is justification enough for watching the event - and if you can't stand the music, I suggest turning the sound down (it's still worth it!).

Given I didn't watch the whole thing, I can't really speak to the whole event. Thankfully, Rob did!.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although if you turn the sound down you miss out on the dry wit of Des Mangan's comentary for SBS's coverage which is half the fun!

5/22/2006 03:23:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

I have since found out that the front woman of the German C&W entry, Texas Lightning, was actually an Aussie - from Newcastle!

5/22/2006 05:57:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

Actually Aff, I don't think it was Des. I am pretty sure it was Terry Wogan from the BBC.

Des Mangan covered the contest in 2003/04 when SBS decided to cover the event themselves (rather than taking the BBC's). They have since opted to return to the BBC coverage.

There are actually some pretty varied and passionate opinions on who is better ...

... but it's always Wogan for mine.

5/22/2006 06:21:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home