Tuesday, November 22, 2005

I'm Blue - da ba dee

It was the year 2000, and just about every cheesy night club was playing it ... "I'm Blue da ba dee da da ba da ba dee da ..." - you remember it ! For many, I am sure this number 1 euro-trash hit from the band, Eiffel 65, was the most annoying song of the year .. and normally, I would agree, but not for this little repetitious, non-sensical gem. I'll admit, this song certainly doesn't fit with my usual tastes (looking at the play list on my computer at the moment - Placebo, Radio Head, Dandy Warhols, System of a Down ... and Eiffel 65 .. hmmm??), but there it is, "I'm Blue da ba dee") - so why do I like it ?

Its amazing how a song can embed itself in your memories and emotions. This song, however tragic it may seem, was more or less the sound track for the year I spent working in Singapore back in 2000. This was my first trip overseas, and also only weeks after Aff and I first got together (yes, we got together just weeks before I left Australia for 12 months!). On my first night out in Singapore, with a bunch of strangers I had just met, we par-took in a bit of a club crawl, where I kid you not, Eiffel 65's number 1 hit featured four times, the first three in different night clubs, and the final in the taxi on the way home. From that point on, it might as well have been the Singapore national anthem.

I just downloaded the song, and am now listening to it. I love it! I am trying to keep my chair dancing moves to a minimum so as not to attract too much attention...

...ahh bugger it ... how can I resist ... I'm Blue da ba dee da da ba da ba dee

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home