Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Maybe I'm too cynical ...

Maybe I've become too cynical about the Howard government, but I cannot help but be suspicious about this so called "specific" terrorist threat that is now being used to justify the fast tracking of the anti-terror legislation through the Parliament today. The bill will be voted on tonight in the house of representives, and the senate has been recalled to sit from 2pm tomorrow.

I am quite genuinely unsure if I'm being a bit unfair in having any doubts about the timing of this "specific" threat. That is the depth of my miss trust of Howard, and the clear desire of ASIO to have more powers bestowed upon it.

It should be noted that this specific threat, while causing a mad panic rush to get this legislation through, does not warrant a heightened terror level threat

.. so I guess the level stays at "shit scared".

Incidentally, my personal "mistrust of Howard levels" have now been increased to: level omitted due to risk of being considered sedition under new anti-terrorist laws

erratum: As Rob pointed out in his comment on this post, it is not the anti-terror legislation that is being fast tracked, but a seperate piece of legislation to ammend the description of what constitutes a terrorist act. So not quite as bad as I first thought, but suspicious timing nonetheless.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not quite the same thing, according to the ABC. The thing they're rushing through is a separate bit of legislation which has something to do with the definition of terrorism in the act.

As far as your general comments go, great minds think alike.

11/02/2005 02:42:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

thanks Rob :)

11/02/2005 03:27:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home