Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Radio career continues

I had my third stint on Canberra community radio on Sunday morning, again presenting science news and other sciency things. I again teamed up with Tim, who hosted the show in his usual professional, calm way - he really does sound like Andrew Denton! I, for the most part, did ok, but managed to completely f@#% up the "outro" (the words spoken at the very end of the show). You'd think its simple wouldn't you ? It was meant to go something like this:

".. And that's all we have time for. You've been listening to Tim Baynes and myself, Chris McCarthy. Tune in next Sunday morning at 11.30am, for "fuzzy logic". We'll leave you now with a track from Cake called "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps" [music starts, mics off].

Instead it went something like this:

".. we'll see you next week .. oh .. and thanks to our .. err .. lovely host, as always, Tim Baynes, and thanks also to .. um.. myself [wince], Chris McCarthy [pause while I contemplate the stupidity of that statement].. so tune in next week for fuzzy logic at 11.30am .... that's on Sunday ... we'll leave you now with a track from Cake [pause] .. oh, and its called Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps [music starts, mics off] "my God that was crap .. sorry Tim!"

Tim laughed, which really was the only appropriate response to this tongue tangled stuff-up.

That was by far my worst stuff-up so far. I am actually not normally that bad. In fact, in earlier segments things went remarkable well I thought. We did a 10 minute "open mic" discussion on scientists who experiment on themselves. I find I am much better when I don't have a script, and this segment, while certainly structured to some extent, was very free flowing and conversational. Tim actually recorded that segment onto his minidisk player, so I was able to listen to it afterwards. I am hoping to get an MP3 of it, so may put it on my blog for download so that non-Canberrans can hear what this radio thing is all about. I think I have one more show to do before Christmas, but not for a few weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home