Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Radio Macca - my big geek break

Some gratuitous self promotion here, but why not.

My friend Tim Baynes is a regular presenter on the Canberra community radio station 2XXFM (98.3 FM). Tim is one of a number of hosts (on a roster system), that every Sunday morning at 11.30am, presents a science communications show called "Fuzzy Logic". Tim hosts the show once a month.

Tim, bless his heart, has brought about my patiently awaited, and much anticipated "big geek break", because this Sunday, Canberrans are going to be treated to something truly special. That's right Canberra, strap yourselves in because Macca's hitting the air waves.

If you are in Canberra this Sunday morning, I suggest you stay home, make a pot of coffee, fluff up a cushion, sit back and relax as I take you on a strange, mysterious, perhaps even raunchy journey through the wonderful and enticing world of robotics research. OK, perhaps that's over selling it. Its a 6 minute interview with Tim, where I get asked about 3 or 4 questions ... but I am not discounting raunchiness!

As you can probably tell, I am a little excited, though I may be slightly over estimating the extent to which this will bring me fame and fortune. In any case, it should be fun, and a great experience. I am also pretty sure I had "get on the radio" close to the top of my "do it before I'm thirty" list (right next to "stick two fingers up behind Ray Martin's head while on air", which I am proud to say, I achieved at last years election night coverage).

In all seriousness, I am very interested in doing things like this because science communication is something that has interested me for sometime, and I guess I see it as a possible future career direction. I'm looking forward to it (despite being completely shit scared). I just hope that while I'm talking about robots, I don't also sound like a robot.

To warm up to the main event, I suggest tuning in a little earlier to catch "Irish Voice". Sit back and enjoy the soothing sounds of Irish folk music (or perhaps the soothing Irish accent of the host as he lists off Canberra's Irish community social and fundraising events for the week).

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work,

So for those of us who are challenged by location to pick up the show, will there be a recording of this great event???

10/19/2005 08:27:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How'd it go? Reviews, critiques anyone?

10/24/2005 09:34:00 AM

 
Blogger macca said...

bron, requests for reviews and critiques implies someone was actually listening :)

10/24/2005 11:18:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was someone listening??

How did you go?

10/24/2005 01:27:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home