Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Netball Premiers

My lack of posts over the last few weeks has created a bit of a back log of news from the "Can". One thing I certainly should have mentioned last week, is that my Wednesday night netball team, "the Health Hazards", won the mixed division 6 premiership against ADFA (i.e Australian Defense Force Academy) 26-17. I should mention that ADFA, winners of the minor premiership and the dominant force throughout the season, were down a player for the grand final. This was disappointing for them, and for us, because no one wants to win a premiership due to having one extra player. Having said that, ADFA made their job even harder by deciding to run without a Goal Shooter. This was the most baffling decision I have ever seen in all my four years of netball experience. This decision suggests to me that Australia's service men and women are in clear need of better tactics and strategy training at Duntroon. I asked their GD, who was defending me, why they chose to run without a GS. He told me that no one else could shoot, and that their GA was good enough to do it alone. It seems the defence academy have apparently replaced "Tactics and Strategies 101" with screenings of Rambo.

Anyway, we won the game comfortably, and as the final buzzer sounded, scenes of jubilation and excitement gripped the Lyneham indoor sports centre. For our win, we received ACT netball "premiers" t-shirts, and, in an unprecedented act of generosity, the Lyneham indoor sports centre had ordered pizzas to be delivered just after the game! And so it was with great pride, that I picked up our well deserved "Super Supreme Dominoes Premiership Pizza", and raised it over my head to the on looking fans (all two of them). The party then continued down the road at the Old Canberra Inn, where the team's kitty surplus of $70 was spent on numerous jugs of Carlton's finest. It was a great win!

My Tuesday night division 4 team, "The Loose Cannons", unfortunately went down in the semi final to the DIMIA dragons, after a hard fought game. I would particularly like to acknowledge the efforts of DIMIA's GD, who I exchanged many a "pleasantry" with throughout the game (we were both warned to shut up). All I did was smile at him, and may have made some remark to him about whether he needed to see my passport! (Ok, I didn't really say that, but I do wish I'd thought of it at the time)

We have a week off before the summer season starts next week.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris - you made no mention of the most prized trophy of all... which now sits proudly next to our TV - your premiership cabbage?
aff

10/05/2005 01:31:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

ah yes, the premiership cabbage. While celebrating our victory at the old Canberra Inn, the pub owner pointed us to a table on which sat about 10 pots, each with a cabbage. Hearing about our win, he asked whether each of us would like to take one as a momento of our achievement. How could we say no.

And so it now sits, prominantly and proudly in our lounge room - the premiership cabbage.

10/05/2005 01:39:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations Chris on your win and the premiership cabbage. At least you won't be starving this week, there is always the cabbage to eat. Your concerns about ADFA supports the ones I have had for quiet awhile. These are the same guys who hand me a shell petrol card to pay for their petrol at a Caltex site. I said "this is a shell card" "yes it is" they reply. "We are Caltex, not shell,it will not work here" I reply. "Of course it will work because it said defence force and it can be use anywhere" is the standard reply. The bottom line is when we go to war, our forces will be lined up at the petrol pump waiting for someone to come out and pay for the petrol because they went to the wrong site again. They maybe trained to fight but not think. Auntie Marg

10/06/2005 06:03:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dont we have the british and american military to give us our tactics and we just fight for them?

Great work on the win who was BOG?

10/06/2005 12:57:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your win Chris. I have a good chop suey recipe for the cabbage or if inclined you could always go on the cabbage soup diet. mum

10/06/2005 03:03:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home