Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Rock on and Compute .. Man!

The conference paper that kept me away from blogging to my hearts content has been submitted. I now get to wait until January to find out whether it is accepted. For those not familiar with the wonderful world of computer science research, let me shed some light on things.

Imagine if you will, that computer science research is like the music industry. To be successful in the music industry, you need to be recording albums, releasing singles, and performing gigs. Of course, to fund this, you need a label willing to keep you going. Now, replace "record label" with a research funding source such as the Australian Research Council, replace "live gigs" with "seminars and conference talks", replace "singles" with "conference papers", and album with "journal article", and there you have it, the brutal world of research (at least in my world).

Of course, things don't map as perfectly as this. I can't imagine me writing a conference paper of an equivalent length as Led Zepplin's "stairway to heaven", nor would I expect to find in a list of classic computer science journal articles, a paper written by someone with the equivalent intellect of MC Hammer. However, I think this is a reasonable approximation.

If my conferene paper is accepted, I get to go to Austria next year to present it - which I guess would make it my European tour. Stay tuned for tour dates!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant, I hope it all goes to plan.

9/27/2005 07:11:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a very interesting analogy Chris - added to your penchant for karaoke, anyone would think you have a secret desire to be a rock star...

9/28/2005 09:29:00 AM

 
Blogger macca said...

rock star hey?... hmmm .. I guess, according to my analogy, that would be a Professor.

9/28/2005 09:35:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can you find time for both? maybe a professor of rock/karaoke.

9/28/2005 07:57:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unlike the music industry, though, your competitors do the reviews. So if your music doesn't sound the same as theirs they get hostile.

10/02/2005 07:48:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home