Friday, August 19, 2005

No accounting for apathy

Over the last few weeks I have been desperately trying to put together two focus groups of postgradute students, to meet with the new Dean of the Graduate School here at ANU. Today is the day, and already one meeting has happened. Now, let me just say, I have been emailing and ringing some of these people for weeks, with polite reminders, and over the top thankyous. I sent the last one on Wednesday, and in a last minute panic attack, I nearly sent another reminder this morning. However, just before sending it I thought, "No, these people are postgraduate students, they are adults and I am sure they don't need me to send another reminder".

Only two of the six people turned up.

Being my first real task as chair of the social and outreach team of PARSA, I can't help but take it a little personally, as it unfortunately, directly reflects on me.

So it seems, there is no accounting for the apathetic student, even when they actually do put their hand up to help (which is also why the Voluntary Student Unionism legislation is such a threat to student associations like PARSA).

My next project is ANU open day, which is next Saturday (Aug 27) - needless to say, I'll be spamming the inboxes of all volunteers like you won't believe next week ;-)

6 Comments:

Blogger macca said...

I can happily report that the second focus group, 2 hours later, had a full attendance. It was a most constructive meeting, so I feel a bit better, and a little less bitter - thank God its Friday!

8/19/2005 02:45:00 PM

 
Blogger melt said...

How many emails did you send in that 2 hour period, Chris?

8/19/2005 09:01:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, you think that is hard, try running a club with people who only check their email once a week. Even seeing people just a few hours beforehand and reminding them doesn't seem to stop them finding something else to do in the intervening period.

Ugh.

And for what its worth, VSU won't make much difference to us, or our apathetic student base. At best it is a few extra dollars, at worst (and more often) a bureaucratic hassle. Our problems tend to be more prosaic: we don't spend enough time on campus so noone is around; and lectures and tutes are often scheduled during lunch-breaks so it is impossible to schedule anything. Both of which are a university problem (but get them to listen to you, no...)

8/19/2005 10:40:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

mel - only one email actually - then I jumped on my bike and sprinted down to the meeting venue to make sure people were there :)

8/22/2005 09:37:00 AM

 
Blogger macca said...

Russ, surely a bunch of town planners can get themselves organised ?

8/22/2005 09:40:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Chris. Planning didn't really exist as a profession until after the second world war, so its title is supposed to be ironically post-modern like so many other aspects of that era... Democratic republics, the Nobel peace prize, the Liberal party.

8/22/2005 11:59:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home