Friday, August 12, 2005

Random Ramblings for an Uninspired Friday

Sometimes the effort to construct epic tales of Canberran adventure is just all too much, so here are a few things that have happened in the last two weeks or so:

Masters
I got my Masters (did I mention that?)

PARSA
About three weeks ago, in what must have been a moment of insanity, I agreed to be the chair of the Social and Outreach team (the SCOUTs) of PARSA (Postgraduate and Research Student Association), taking over from Amanda George's great work. This means I am now on the executive committee, which is all very scary! And of course, what better time to take on more responsibility in a student association than when the VSU (Voluntary Student Unionism) legislation is about to be passed by a government controlled senate. If passed in its current form, organisations like PARSA will struggle to continue - at the very least, they will undergo severe down scaling in the services they provide. I don't feel like a rant now, so you can read more here. Needless to say, things have been frantic trying to fight this, and inform students, though other PRC members have had far more to do with this than me.

Last night, to lighten the mood and lift morale, we had PRC (postgrad representaive council) drinks and dinner which was fantastic. There are some great people on the student council, and I rate my decision to join as one of my best since coming to Canberra.

One of my big tasks as chair of SCOUTs for the next month is coordinating PARSA's involvement with ANU open day on August 27. This all seems strangely familiar!

The Great Outdoors
Two weekend ago, Aff and I packed the car and headed for the coast for a one night camping trip. We camped pretty much on the beach (a place called pebbly beach, about 10 mins North of Bateman's Bay). The designated camp site isn't much to write home about, but the location is awesome... and there are kangaroos everywhere, which are very tame (you can pat them).

Last Saturday Aff and I went bush walking with our friend, and token American, Holly. Canberra is fantastic for bush walking - lots of national parks, and a very dry climate. We headed West to a town called Wee Jasper, and walked a very small portion of the "Hume and Hovell" track (which goes all the way to Albury). It was a cold day, but the sky was clear and sunny. We walked about 10 km's, so it wasn't huge.

Model Railways
So I like model trains, and as it turns out, so does a 12 year old boy by the name of Liam. Liam is the youngest son of Kim, who is office mates with Aff. Kim asked if Aff and I would like to go along with herself and Liam, to a model railway exhibition last Sunday. Aff emailed me, and was somewhat astounded and confused at how I was able to send my reply of "Oh my God - Oh My God - Oh my God - YES!", before she had managed to click the send button. The exhibition was held at a special school called Malkara near Woden (South West Canberra). The event is run by the ACT model railway Association as a fund raiser for the school. Needless to say, Liam and I ran around like headless chickens.

You wouldn't think that model railways pull in huge crowds, but this event, and the last one I went to in Canberra, both attacted very large attendances. The silent majority has spoken.

PhD

next.

well .. ok .. things aren't that bad. I am working on a paper which is all about how a robot can use honeybee inspired visual cues to slow down and dock with an object in its environment. So its not exactly the terminator - but, if I may be so bold to say - it is probably more impressive than Dexta! The paper will be submitted for review in a couple of weeks time, and if accepted, will get me to next years European Conference on Computer Vision, which I think is in Austria... here's hoping!

Affrica
Aff is busy with Lifeline training, choir rehearsals, PhD applications .. oh .. and research. The research project Aff is involved with, "Beyond Ageing", has finally been granted insurance coverage by the ANU for their clinical trials. The ANU has taken about 12 months to approve this, which has severely delayed the project! This project is funded by Beyond Blue, which many of you may know is headed by Jeff Kennett!


Sport
Netball - Netball - Netball - oh .. and cycling.

I am still averaging about three games of netty a week, Mon, Tues and Wed (I am reserve for the Monday night team). Finals are approaching, and it looks like all three teams will be there in September (or maybe its October ?)

As for cycling, I have just signed myself up for another "bay in a day" ride this year, as a member of the "Bay city rollers" team. I am actually unsure who else is doing it this year, but I know Claire and Alec are up for it. It involves riding around Port Philip Bay (except the Ferry ride bit of course) - all up, about 210 km's .. and no, I am not planning to ride all the way from Canberra!

Enough ramblings for now :-)

7 Comments:

Blogger Ems said...

Congrats on the masters! How fun to go camping and relax!

8/12/2005 11:47:00 AM

 
Blogger macca said...

thanks.

8/12/2005 12:29:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

Another thing I should have mentioned - it snowed in Canberra on Wednesday !!! it wasn't an impressive dump, but it was most definitely snow!

8/12/2005 12:30:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

Pearcey - have no idea about The Basin, but I reckon there is a good chance it did

Mum? Derek?

8/12/2005 04:52:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Chris and Pearcey it didn't snow in The Basin. It snowed every other place but here. Even Geelong got some and Mirboo north, I was very jealous as I was sure we would get some but NO not us. They were even predicting snow in Melbourne but I guessed that wouldn't happen and it didn't. Mum

8/12/2005 05:09:00 PM

 
Blogger melt said...

An aside...

We used to own a dog named Jasper, having been found abandoned in Wee Jasper. He bravely risked his life saving me from a brown snake when I was one, at our communal farm in the lovely town of Gundaroo. Last time we checked, the farm had been renamed "Llama Land".

Hope you enjoyed the walk!

8/13/2005 08:28:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was cold enough that If you wanted snow in The Basin you would have to stand on your roof with a high pressure water hose (maybe a Karcher).

But who has the time these days.

8/14/2005 10:26:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home