Wednesday, October 17, 2007

leaving and returning

It is always a bit of a strange feeling in the weeks before leaving a place you have spent a significant amount of time in. That is certainly how it feels at the moment. The "mixed feelings" cliche` seems to fit pretty well. I am as comfortable and familiar with my environment as I have been since arriving, which is not so surprising. On the other hand, my head is already half back in Australia, and ticking over the many tasks, challenges and choices that await Aff and I when we get back. I, of course, am trying to keep my mind in Italy as much as I can. I want to soak up as much of this fascinating place as possible. Since arriving, not a single day has gone by that I haven't looked around and just wondered how the hell my life managed to rock up here. Craziness! This daydreaming is usually interrupted abruptly by the sound of a scooter passing me within a couple of inches, forcing me to suddenly side step into three day old dog shit which, next to discovering 13th century gothic churches down dingy alleyways, is another common "experience" in Genova. Maybe not a particularly nice one, but all part of the experience nonetheless.

Of course, while trying to take these things in, the realities of going home are hard to ignore. Practical issues such as packing and sending things home, not to mention the million dollar/euro question of "where the hell are we gonna live ?", can quickly overwhelm. Inevitably Aff and I talk a lot about these issues in the evening, which always feels a bit strange and foreign after a day spent in such a different place as Genova. On the other hand, these same thoughts are a source of excitment as well. Aff and I are looking forward to coming home. Our existence in Italy has been an exciting one, but also a temporary one, and the desire to "get on with things" (whatever that means?) has grown over the course of our time here. In someways I see this as the most significant change in me over the course of my time here. I don't really know why. It could equally be attributed to being married. I suspect it's a little of both.

It's difficult to express these thoughts because there is always the risk of exagerating the importance, and significance of such experiences. In the end, we've spent 7 months in Italy, seen a lot of different things, met a lot of good people, eaten a lot of pizza, and drank a lot of vino ... not so different to home really! but it sure feels like it is.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess its time to take the moth balls out of your linen, and dust down your furniture. Guess pizza and pasta will be off the menu for a while once you return.
Look forward to see you both,
Auntie Marg

10/18/2007 06:40:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A real job, a house in the burbs (or maybe a townhouse in the inner burbs), a level B position for you perhaps...and other things.

I know having Emma living at Evans St. certainly concentrates the mind...

10/18/2007 08:27:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the risk of embarrassing/annoying you Chris - I must offer my congratulations: My daughter - your wife - tells me that you have had a paper accepted by the top journal of robotics (!) Affrica also tells me that this laudable fact involves the increased pressure of more experimental work and revisions with a 30 day deadline from when you get back! On top of finding a place to live in Canberra! On top of Etc Etc Etc.! ( And here's me trying to nail you down for Christmas - in October!) No wonder you "freaked out!" Marriage - Genova - getting on with things - yeah well - I can see that marriage might come with it's disadvantages (none of which, I'm sure you agree, have anything personnally to to do with your wonderful wife - my wonderful daughter) The disadvantages might come with the increased extended families and their claims on your limited time - well (what's that Italian expression for "be serene"? - in Australian: "take it easy, no worries") I'm sure all those who love you - me included- will understand if you can't catch up with us all straightaway in the limited time you have when you arrive back in Melb. Mind you, I'm not planning to martyr myself here - I've still got my hand up! Mainly on behalf of my mother (your grandmother-in-law) Kit, in Benalla - who, at 83, is growing frail at an alarming rate. But she would be happy if you called in for an hour or so on your way back to Canberra (in fact, she might not be able to cope with more than that) Less urgent perhaps - but dear to MY heart - would be if you could call in to the Violet Town Cafe on your way to Kit's - and Canberra. If you two could manage those two things - I would be willing to bide my time and catch up with you properly when you are more settled in. If Muhammad can't come to the mountain - the mountain will come to Muhammad.
I have this vision of you, Chris - in future years - taking to the hills in the festive season with a certain brother-in-law of mine - blocking out the whole family festive season thing - having a few beers with the kookuburras.
Anyway! Back to Genova . You're there NOW.
Love, Mary.

10/19/2007 04:16:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

Auntie Marg - looking forward to seeing you all when we get back.

10/19/2007 06:41:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

Rob - all sound reasonable .. though i'm more interested in the "other things"

10/19/2007 06:43:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

Mary - thanks for the congrats. There is no doubt that Aff and me will find (nay - make) time to spend with you. As we speak, Aff is drawing up an itinerary for the two weeks after we return, that quite frankly, would put STA travel to shame. We plan to take in The Basin, Carlton, Healsville, Geelong, Anglesea, Kerang, Benalla, Violet Town, and probably Holbrook on the way back up to Canberra (I like their meat pies!).

Sure, things are gonna be hectic .. but I think there are more important things than robotics journal papers, that one way or another, will get done.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

10/19/2007 06:54:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home