Tuesday, June 07, 2005

An hour I'll never get back

I don't know why I expected anything different, but I decided this morning to go along to a seminar given by a person from the careers centre here at ANU. The talk was on strategies to develop your career, aimed specifically at research younglings like myself. In my experience, careers centres rarely have anything useful to tell me. To be blunt, I sometimes wonder just what sort of expertise people have that offer such careers advice. Bare in mind, this is a personal opinion, based solely on my own experiences. Judging from some of the nodding heads in the audience of this seminar, many in the room thought this information was relevant. I, however, found the talk to be one of the least inspiring talks I have heard on the subject.

Firstly, the speaker had no direct experience with my field (by this I mean Engineering). She seemed to have a very Arts/Humanities take on academia, which was exposed on a number of occasions. Secondly, she loved to talk about allocating time for everything - and I mean everything. I can't say I have ever thought to block off time in my week for "networking" activities, or for trawling through the on-line job advertisements. The way she was talking suggested if you weren't already doing these things, you might as well give up now and start practicing how to say "do you want fries with that" clearly. But the final nail in the coffin, and I couldn't help but sigh (a bit louder than I actually planned to), was when she mentioned the words "career goals and plans". She even mixed in a reference to the old cliche' "where do you see yourself in 10 years". Uninspired to say the least.

You might think I am being a little harsh, but I really am opposed to this as the basis of career development. I am not opposed to having career goals as such, but for me, career goals are not in the form of "I want to be a Professor" or "I want to be the highest publishing academic in my field" (as she would want it to be). To be completely honest, I have little ambition to climb ladders like this. This is not to say that I am opposed to doing so, just that I don't see that as a motivation for my career. My career goal is simple, I want to do something interesting, that contributes and pays the bills (with a little left over). If I spend my life doing jobs like this, I am tipping I will die a happy camper. So what I would love to see is a careers adviser who does not predict doom and gloom if your not doing every extra curricula activity or course, and not allocating "career planning time" each week. Rather, I would prefer to hear someone say something like: "do the things that interest you, and always keep an eye out for opportunities". I would also love to hear an adviser say something like: "never discount the possibility of change in your career", rather than the usual uninspired "career plan" crap. I may be young and naive, but my experiences since finishing my undergrad degree in 1999 have certainly not been what I ever really planned for .. and if I do end up working at MacDonald's, it will be because I choose to do so.
:)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree as last year attending a similar seminar the careers speaker showed all these wonderfull figures and graphs on the increase in jobs (for IT) and everything was great. However none of this related to entry level as we graduates were, for this we had to email her. Expectations were raised then quickly lowered again.

I was none the wiser at the end to say the least.

6/08/2005 07:22:00 PM

 
Blogger melt said...

and may I add, doing something a little out of the normal Career pathway is what lots of people wish for... but somehow don't do.

I was amazed by the number of people, usually my seniors, who when I told them what I'm doing this year said, "I've always wanted to do that" or the like.

My career advice is - well, bloody well do it then. Try it and see what happens. Or plan it into the whole "career goal / 5 year plan" crap, so that you're not still saying "I've always wanted to..." when you're ninety.

6/11/2005 09:06:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

I love the advice "Try it and see what happens" as a career plan Mel. My belief is that if you do this, it will never be a waste of time, even if it doesn't work out the way you "planned".

There seems to be an implicit assumption made by many (including careers advisers) that the mission is to find "the one" career choice that perfectly suits each person, and that once its found, the seacrh then stops. Its no wonder that this taks brings such stress and worry to so many of us! I know many people stressed about the fact that they are now in their late twenties (or beyond), and "still" don't know what they want to do with their working lives. Of course its an important question to consider, but it should never be a source of stress (and its should not be constrained by some imaginary time constraint). My first question is to ask why society seems to think the answer to this requires each person to converge on a single choice, and why we don't encourage this choice to be a fluid one. One obvious response to this is the "M" word, and also for many, the "F" word - "money" amd "family". Yes, of course, you need an adequate and stable income to support youself and those who depend on you. However, it is also important to consider those things that make us (and those around us) happy. Perhaps one of the keys to achieving this, is to accept (and embrace) the fact that our choices are never absolute, and we should always allow for the possibility of change. That is certainly how I plan to view my career

I should say, all this thinking about careers has come about because I am currently re-assessing my own choices at the moment, another product of having more time on my hands these days :)

"Planing is just a way to avoid figuring out what to do next" - Rodney Brookes

He was actually referring to robot navigation, but I think, at least to some extent, it generalises nicely to humans as well :)

6/14/2005 11:03:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home