Tuesday, May 31, 2005

cold Canberra

Finally it looks like the cold weather is here in Canberra. It hasn't rained for over 2 months (and I don't really think the last time it rained was particularly heavy), its clear blue skies every day, but still, its bloody freezing. I ride my bike into ANU most days from Belconnen (or in the local bogan tongue .. "belco"), and the numbness factor seems to be increasing every morning. Its at its worst as I descend down the side of black mountain (the hill with Telstra Tower on top). Its now starting to hurt. My fingers are feeling it (maybe its time to get proper gloves.) The trees seem to have finally worked out its Autumn (in the last weeks), finally showing some Autumn colour. Apparently because April's average temp was greater than March's, the trees all thought Spring was here, and so some of them started to blossom. Its all a bit scary when you think about it. The climate really can play havoc on the life cycle of plants. The last few months of record breaking weather patterns, and the frequency of gloomy media reports on all of this seems like something out of those natural disaster movies. I am not predicting any kind of ice age in the next few months, but I reckon we had better face up to a few home truths. Things are a change'n!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah good C, i thought perhaps a comment here instead of an email would be appropriate, and indeed in a forum in which the wider community could indeed be a part of (or not) as the case may be...

Alas I have found this site to be amusing and of course note that, as you have found the time to set this up, that you do work hard...even when your not.

5/31/2005 07:51:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

... but Terry, you forgot to point out that the weather is lovely here! (We've only got about three months to gloat to our friends in the south-east of Australia before the weather is better there than in London.)

5/31/2005 10:51:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

... indeed good T, as you know, I do work hard. I trust all is well in Ye Olde England .

.. and welcome aboard Taryn.

...on weather matters, the funny thing about a drought is that hoping for a nice sunny day is something you never say out loud anymore. Goulbourn (home of the "Big Marino" sheep, about 80km N of Canberra) is looking like running out of water by the end of the year! ... so if you have much better weather than we do over the next three months, I don't think we'd mind too much :)

6/01/2005 10:27:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Taryn

Get stuffed.

PS. I'm cold and we lost netball and I'm at uni writing an essay and it's 10:30 at night and I don't want to be here and I'm procrastinating and I want to go home. Have a nice summer.

PPS. Hi Chris.

6/01/2005 10:27:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi guys... so this is where you all are!
I just wanted to say isn't Chris a caring soul.. his fingers are freezing off but he has so much care and concern for the plight of the poor confused plants.

love yas all
Aff

6/02/2005 05:03:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home