Wednesday, May 25, 2005

stepping into public life

It was inevitable that after quitting my full-time teaching position, and going back to being just a student, that I was going to find it hard to adjust to having time to spare. Ever since I started my Masters and job at Melbourne Uni, my life seemed to be endlessly busy with stuff, which I found quite stressfull at times. So, now I am trying to adjust to having lots more spare time... and the best way to adjust it seems, is to fill my life up again with endlessly busy stuff ... ahh that's better .. nice and stressed again :) However, the one big difference is that these are things I actually want to do, not things I feel obligated to do.

One extra curricula activity I am particularly happy about is that I have joined the ANU Postgrad representative Council. I am a general student representative, and a member of the social committee. I just helped organise my first social event, a beer tasting night which was great :) Some local distributor representatives came with a selection of Aussie and international beer. As the night progressed, I got into some deep discussion about home brewing with a representative from Coopers, and commended their choice of Paul Mecurio (of Strictly Ball Room fame) as the expert home brewer on their introductory video. I promised to bring a batch of the old C-Lager for the next beer tasting evening, pending the outcome of public liability negotiations :)

Anyway, its great to be doing something that contributes. I am hoping in the future to get more involved in some other (dare I say more political) aspects of the association, but for now its all about meeting people, and having a bit of fun. I am also helping re-design their web page, which currently looks like this.

2 Comments:

Blogger macca said...

.. its not that they were going for a retro look ... it just hasn't been updated since the mid-90's :)

5/26/2005 10:35:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, animated GIFs. Right up there with the blink tag :)

5/26/2005 11:37:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home