Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A year flies by - what the hell happened?

It passed me by without much thought, but last week marked one year of my PhD, and indeed, one year of living in Canberra - and so I ask, how the hell did that happen ? Don't worry, I am not about to embark on some sort of flashback blog post, where I revisit all those humorous, and life changing moments - although the day I took out a female netball opponent with an accidental elbow to the jaw does deserve some mention, as does my first bowlo trivia night experience, and who can forget Aff's choir concert (and wild after party). Ok Ok, I'll stop.

It's fair to say that the last 12 months have been among the most interesting of my life to date (although it is hard to top my year in SE Asia back in 2000, and those crazy toddler years, when I learnt to go to the toilet on my own). In general, moving cities does go along way to ensuring life is never dull. However, these interesting times are not just the result of a change of scene, but also due to becoming a full-time student. This has allowed me to try out and experience a whole bunch of different things, and has introduced me to a lot of interesting people. I must admit, I am not sure I would have gotten so involved in these sorts of things if I stayed in Melbourne. There is something about a new environment where very few people know you, that unshackles you. It's probably the break from the routine of your comfortable existence that does it. If so, then I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I will always be a Melbourne boy, but Canberra is definitely a home away from home. So I say "Thanks Canberra!" - you may not be the most exciting city in the world, but you're not Adelaide either!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeh, let's give it up for "the Can!"

I realised somewhat less happily that last week marked the beginning of my third uni year...argh!!!

Georgie

4/06/2006 04:21:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

then let's give it up for the ANU as well!

4/06/2006 04:38:00 PM

 
Blogger Parton Words said...

Glad you're enjoying it Macca

4/06/2006 07:38:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

thanks PW - I am.

4/10/2006 09:03:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home