Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Leave lil' Lleyton alone - Australia's favourite bogan

I just read an article about Lleyton Hewitt which I think reflects much of what I think about our favourite fiery Aussie bogan. I actually really like Hewitt, despite his often reported bad behaviour on court (even despite the recent stoush he had with Argentinean, Guillermo Coria, which is perhaps the worst yet). I am not going to defend his behaviour, it is largely indefensible in the court of public opinion, but perhaps this is simply because Hewitt's style of game is just not suited to the scrutiny it receives from those who long for the days of good ol' Pat Rafter.

I sympathise a lot with Hewitt because he reminds me a lot of me. I think I am a nice guy, and a rational thinker most of the time. However, when I start playing sport, particularly a game like tennis (which I played throughout my childhood and on and off since leaving school), I can't help but be overwhelmed by a sense of competitiveness and emotion - even if its just a social game. Unlike Hewy, however, I have very little at stake, and so manage reasonable restraint (most of the time at least - my Dad, however, could probably tell some stories about me). For example, if I am playing tennis against you, and I say something like "good shot!" after you pass me down the line with a top spin forehand, you can be sure that in my head I am saying something more a long the lines of "great f#%cking fluke!", followed by some angry and depressive thought about how my life could have turned out so bad as to have allowed that shot to pass me. If it happens again .. well .. actually .. let's not go there. The point is, emotion over reason is common place in th heat of the game, however, I do manage to keep my emotions largely internal. It is also worth noting that these thoughts almost instantly dissipate when the game is finished (so when, after you have beaten me, I shake your hand and say "good game", I can assure you that this translates to "excellent game ... you bastard"). Internalising the emotion is, of course, a good thing when playing a social game of tennis, and I think I do ok. However, if I was playing at the elite level, I suspect I would be much more like Leyton. If I tried to internalise my emotion at that level, then I would probably be more like Pat Rafter, and retire very early in my career.

In any case, I am sure lil' Hewy faces a wall of emotion and frustration, and it is my belief that he is only as good as he is, because he is able to give his aggression an outlet. It's not pretty, I agree - and perhaps Guillermo Coria has a point when he says that he would rather not win any tournaments if it meant having to behave like Hewitt. Hewitt, however, is probably a little more driven to achieve, and for this reason, is not so concerned about what people think of him. After all, Aussie fans tend to forget about such blemishes when you bring home a trophy.

One last point - tennis is a highly scrutinised game when it comes to on court behaviour and etiquette. Watch AFL, rugby, cycling, cricket, basketball etc, and I guarantee you will find many more Lleyton Hewitt-style competitors. The difference is that in most of these sports, such behaviour is considered at the very least, tolerable, and in many cases, quite acceptable.
Again, its not always pretty, but at elite levels of sport I personally don't presume to understand the psychology of achieving at this level.

So I hope people will give our true blue Aussie bogan, Hewy, a bit of slack - until he starts losing of course, at which point we'll crush him like Poo ;)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who are you kidding? I've played you at tennis. You never stop swearing. I assume you are doing it to yourself, because it is not like I'm passing you. But your games would have to be in the "uncut" version of the Australian Open if you were playing pro.

7/20/2005 04:12:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

Ah Russ .. that's a bit different .. I am constantly swearing because your wild backhands send the ball halfway across campus, which I then have to go and fetch ;-)

7/20/2005 04:31:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home