Monday, May 28, 2007

aye aye captain!

It is often said that Italy is the centre of style and fashion. In fact, if there was one repeatedly given piece of advice I can remember before coming here, it was get ready to feel very under dressed. With this message well and truly engraved in my mind, I rid myself of almost half my tired, warn out wardrobe, in anticipation of a whole new world of fashion.

Now I'll admit, Italy does have style, and yes, fashion - but as Jeff from Lismore, a guy I met at the pub the other night pointed out to me, "yeah, there's a fair bit of fashion, but don't you think the blokes here look a bit puncy?"

He had a point. If Italy is where men's fashion is heading, then God help the humble, true blue, she'll be right, Aussie bloke. I can't say I could picture either Jeff, or myself, in a figure hugging, blue and white v-neck sailor shirt with tight 3/4 length jeans, designer mullet and "Thorpy" stubble.

As an observer, this look is quite fascinating, and can even start to rub off on you .. that is, until you go into a clothes store and try on something. The are few things more disturbing than seeing yourself in a horizontally striped, figure hugging, v-neck sailor shirt. Like a contour map of the Alpine National Park, the stripes provide an unforgiving portrayal of ones mid section. Thankfully, more conventional clothing does exist, and with some searching, I have discovered clothing more to my taste.

Who knows what I look like to the locals. Who knows what I will look like to Australia when I return. The problem with taste is that it changes unconsciously, and without objectivity. Having said this,the day I look in the shop window at a blue and white stripy v-neck sailor shirt, and think "that might just work", must surely be the day I book my ticket home.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Shelley, Ben and Chloe said...

Hi Chris, if you ever do buy a fancy shirt like the one mentioned you must take a photo of it and put it on your blog. We could torment you for years...
Shell

5/28/2007 10:33:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I am happy because to my delight, despite hearing that no italian woman would ever step outside the house in anything shorter than a 6 inch heel (in fear of appearing uncool I packed ALL 2 pairs of high heels I own), I find that funky flat ballet style shoes are now the rage here. Chris I think you should post a photo of what you did buy.. including your sporty addidas soccer shoes :)

5/28/2007 11:56:00 PM

 
Blogger Frank and Sue said...

Great to see you have both settled into Italy well. As mentioned, the "Thorpy" look is not necessarily "TRUE BLUE AUSSIE" (not from where I come from anyway) Just completed most of the Great Ocean Walk over the last 5 days. Should have something up on our blog in the next week or so if you are interested....it is just a beautiful walk.....trying to make you homesick. Well worth a stroll along it when you are ever down this way. btw, .....when ARE you ever going to finish your South Coast story??? ....LOL Frank

5/29/2007 11:07:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the Italian metrosexuals are out in force, are they? I say embrace the Aussie wardrobe - rock up tomorrow in a flanny...checks aren't THAT different from stripes, are theY??

Mands :)

5/29/2007 04:42:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris and Aff, Sounds like the culture is a bit of a shock! How's the language skills coming along and is pizza the same there as here?
Mike

5/29/2007 08:59:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

Dad (Mike) - I wouldn't say the culture has been so much a shock, just something that requires a fair bit of getting used to. What I have found interesting is that some things about Italian life didn't phase me at all at first, but over time, have started to become more apparent, while other things I noticed straight away, have since become par for the course. Great experience.

As for pizza - very different over here. Much less packed onto them, and usually a thinner crust. In general, Italians seem to like to keep food simple, and seperate. For example, if you order a steak and vegies, you will normally get a plate with a piece of meat on it, and a bowl with a few vegies in it (possibly as a seperate course).

As for language -- that's a whole post of it's own. Aff is doing well with her classes everyday. I start evening classes tomorrow.

Overall, life is good in Italy .. it has it's moments, but Aff and I are having a ball!

5/29/2007 10:14:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

thanks Frank. Will definitely check out the ocean walk report.

Aff and I have been looking at doing some Italian hiking while we're here. Probably up in the Alps. One thing we have noticed though, is that Italians don't seem to be quite so into the tent-camping thing, which I personallu think is one of the best aspects of hiking.

5/29/2007 10:17:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

Shell - I am sure there is plenty on my blog as it is, to keep people tormenting me for years. It's all good, as long as I don't run for PM.

5/29/2007 10:18:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

mands - I have decided to go with own unique brand of Aussie chik - jeans and t-shirt. Jeff (the guy I met at the pub) assured me that the Aussie "not from around here" look is the next big thing to hit the fashion houses in Milan.

5/29/2007 10:21:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,

Sounds great. I'm off to London next week. I'll give you a wave as I go past.

Dad

5/29/2007 10:56:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, that's because what the Italian's call "wilderness" is being over a kilometre from the nearest village. You won't be able to help but feel that everything is a little, ah, "civilised" when you're hiking. But it still has it's charms.

The Dolomites are pretty awesome if you head over that way. Also, I've read that it's possible to hike over a few old mountain passes on medieval/roman trading routes. If you find out, let me know, I'm curious.

5/30/2007 01:15:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home