Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Problems with authority

I have had conversations with others about this before, and it seems to be a reasonably common problem among many of us. Around my peers, I like to think I am a reasonably confident person. If I feel comfortable with the people around me, I generally come right out of my shell, crack jokes and generally talk non-stop - but put me in a situation where I have to interact with someone of great distinction and authority, and, well, things aren't so great. No matter how much I try to be relaxed, witty, intelligent, and funny with these people, I can't help but be a blubbering mess. Imagine a mix between Elliot Goblett and Collin Carpenter - because that's me.

I'm so bad at it that I do try my best to avoid such situations. Unfortunately, however, I couldn't avoid this morning's little incident. I was trapped in the bike cage. There was no escape. I had just locked up my bike, and was feeling quite content after a very good ride in (clocked up a bit of a PB this morning). I must have been enjoying a quiet day dream when I went to open the cage door with my swipe card, only to have the door fling open in front of me. Without naming names, all I will say is that the person entering was a Professor of very high distinction in my field or research. Having been taken by surprise, all my conversational flare went out the window. I stood in the door way, and, after a slight pause, I said "hi", followed by a momentary pause while I tried to remember his name. Of course, I knew his name, but at this moment I could not think of it, and so instead, after what must have been 5 seconds at least, I opted for that tried and tested aussie wild card .... "mate".

"Good Morning" he replied. I then held the bike cage door open while he wheeled in his bike. After he passed me, I then walked through the door and was about to make a break for it when he then said without looking back at me:

"thanks for that - if you could just hold the door open for me while I lock my bike, that would be great".

So I stood there and held the door while he went to lock his bike. After about 20 seconds, he took a glance back towards the door where he saw me holding it ajar.

"No No.. sorry .. I was actually joking".

To which I replied (rather over exageratedly), "Ha!", followed by a short pause, "very funny ... " - another pause - "mate" - capped then off with one final pause, before I made the quickest exit known to man.

With my awkwardness and embarrassment at dizzy new heights, it took me no less than 20 seconds to disappear completely from sight. I am now sitting at my desk, hoping never to see him again, but of course, tomorrow is another day, not to mention the tea room, which is a bit of a mine field for awkward interactions with authority.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude,

It is like you went inside my brain and were writing about my very own issues with authority figures...

Give me a bbq to plan, party to host or event with my peers and I can chat away with the best of them and, I like to think, can even be entertaining and amusing ;)

Insert authority figure, one in which I have a personal interest in, such as research idol, and I am a blubbering mess and plagued with overwhelming social anxiety...seriously. You would not recognise me (I hope!)

I think it is a new mental illness and should be incorporated into the DSMIV...social anxiety not otherwise specified...marked by extreme physical and emotional anxiety symptoms in the presence of perceived greatness.

Maybe we can initiate a support group and develop useful strategies to overcome this...failing that, there's always discussion over some beers :)

12/13/2005 11:36:00 AM

 
Blogger macca said...

a support group sounds good Mands .. so long as no one is appointed the support group leader - because then I won't be able to talk to them ;)

12/14/2005 09:26:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just work for a boss who is one of your friends then all should be ok.

12/14/2005 06:13:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a very common problem and has everything to do with anxiety. And what creates anxiety? What you tell yourself about a situation. You are telling yourself that this person is somehow a god and you are unworthy. The truth is different of course and the person that is intimidating you would most likely be sad that you are having this reaction. How can you handle this? The next time you are with "greatness" say nothing. Tell yourself that you do not need to "perform" for that person. You'll be amazed how much this will help. The reality is that the person is really not paying very much attention to you, if at all. Relax, stop performing, realize this person get's flatulence just like you and give yourself a break!

12/02/2007 11:28:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home