Thursday, May 03, 2007

Pronto!

So life in Genoa has begun. The honeymoon, as they say, is over .. but of course, with everything new and exciting around us, there is no returning to normal programming. Aff and I are finding our feet, slowly but surely. The usual fluctuations of homesickness are always present, in the form of a very predictable routine. Having experienced this feeling a number of times in past adventures, I take some comfort in its highly predictable nature.

Mornings I wake up, and always feel down. I don't crave home more than at 7am when I wake up. Fortunately this feeling immediately subsides after I get out of bed and begin my usual morning rituals. Getting on with things is the best cure for homesickness. Simply doing those things I do, regardless of where I am, is normally all it takes to snap out of these morning blues. Leaving the apartment, and seeing the cobble stone streets, the rambling old medieval buildings, the packed coffee bars, Italians doing what they do (which, to be honest, is remarkably similar to us) and realising I live here is like an injection of adrenalin, bringing my focus right into the present. "I live here!"

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And how is the coffee?

5/04/2007 01:48:00 PM

 
Blogger macca said...

ah Rob .. now that question requires a blog post all its own .. which is being put through the rigorous drafting processes, and peer review that I always apply to my work.

The short answer is the obvious one: it's good, it's very good.

However, take comfort, good Melburnian coffee drinkers, from this displaced, highly strung, anxiety riddled caffeine junky - our coffee (from the right places) certainly holds it's own ... and we get to sit down and drink it!

5/04/2007 05:38:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home